Flooding conditions have receded across the province in recent days, according to the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency (SPSA). As of 11:30 a.m. Thursday, just four communities reported having active states of emergency. “The SPSA is supporting 21 active flooding incidents, with five of those communities being supported with flood mitigation equipment,” SPSA spokesperson Jeff DeDekker told reporters. “SPSA Emergency Services officers will continue to liaise with communities being affected by the flooding and will continue to assist as required.” Early last week, a total of 18 communities were under active emergency declarations. Michael Weger, the Minister Responsible for the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency, commended the work several Saskatchewan municipalities have done in order to repair flood damage. “I have seen volunteers stepping forward without hesitation, neighbours helping neighbours and communities supporting communities,” he said. “Local organizations, municipalities and partners worked side by side and around the clock with our emergency teams to ensure people stayed safe and were supported.” Water Security Agency president and CEO Shawn Jaques offered insight into the provincial communities still facing high water levels. “What we’re seeing as far as infrastructure damage, there’s a lot around Prince Albert,” he said. “There was some around Meadow Lake and it’s kind of on that northern fringe where most of the water is down through Quill Lake.”
|